Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday, April 17th

Seen in a pastry shop window along the way.

The day was a mix weather-wise.  The rain and the sun spent the morning flirting with each other.  First I got wet, then dried off in a warm sun, then rain again, sun came out, . . . and so on.  Just enough sun to keep me optimistic--and walking.

I walked to the Bastille and through the massive Sunday market, not stopping to take photos or buy anything.  I was a woman with a mission and I headed up the lovely Blvd. Richard Lenoir toward the north of Paris.


Eventually I ended up near Gard du Nord, and the covered market,  Marché Saint Quentin, home to my evening's dinner. 
The market is full of different stalls with everything you might want.  If you haven't been, I recommend a visit next time you are in town.
Fruit
and more fruit!
Italian looks promising!
Six kinds of lasanga

Maybe some enormous artichokes.  These were the size of cabbages and I'm not even sure how long it would take to cook them.

And what do we think is sold here (and won a palme d'or last year)?

Cheese!
Herbs improve everything.
And there is even something to feed your eyes and your soul.




But it's decided:
Handmade, freshly made dumplings for dinner!

Next I decided to visit my old neighborhood near the Canal St. Martin.  Two years ago I spent several weeks there and fell in love with the people, the shops and of course, the Canal.  It's only recently been refilled with water after being dredged and cleaned--something that happens every 10-15 years.  It's a massive undertaking that is hard to imagine.  I wonder what unusual things they found this time?

 A canal boat on it's way back to the Bastille Marina.  It's waiting for the lock to finish equalizing the water.  If you take the canal boat ride to Parc Villette, you will go through several locks.  It's a cool experience!
The boat is about to go into the tunnel that will take it from this spot (just west of Republique) to the Marina Bastille.





My last stop of the day was a soggy Place des Voges where I stopped for a hot chocolate and to dry off a little bit before I headed home.

Louis XIII
 So beautiful--even in the rain.  Perhaps more beautiful in the rain without the usual Sunday afternoon crowds.

Adieu until tomorrow.














No comments:

Post a Comment