Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Tuesday, April 19th

Wheel in Place Concorde


On my way to the Jacquemart-André Museum today I went through Place Concorde and walked up the Champs-Élysées part way.  Not a favorite walk of mine though I enjoy the little esplanade/parc that runs parallel to the street.

Cherry Trees

Beautiful blossoms

The Ambassadeurs Jardin
The park ends at FDR Blvd where I turn to go up to Haussmann--I get to skip the shopping mall experience of the rest of the walk.




I couldn't take photos of the exhibit itself--the museum doesn't own the photo rights--but I took several inside the museum.  I visited this house several times and am always in awe of the ability of this couple to collect so many beautiful things.  Hmmm, they didn't have children, . . . .
Reception Room
Drawing Room
Smoking Room

Winter Garden
The special exhibit itself featured 45-50 works (many of which I hadn't seen before) by artists such as Boudin, Turner, Monet, Courbet, Renoir, Degas, Gauguin, Pissarro, Signac and Berthe Morisot.  Others as well.  The scenes were of the terrain from Dieppe,  Trouville, Deauville, Honfleur, Le Havre, Cherbourg, and along the Seine from Rouen to Giverny.   Fans and students of the Impressionists won't be disappointed to see these beautiful paintings in this beautiful venue.

Walking home along the Blvd. Haussmann, I came to the Chapelle Expiatoire which was built in 1815 at the request of Louis XVIII.  The Chapel and the surrounding park sit on an old mass grave for victims of the Revolution.  Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette were buried there until they were moved to the St. Denis Basilica in northern Paris.

I couldn't walk down Blvd. Haussmann without taking some pictures of typical Haussmann-style buildings.
There is something quite elegant about seeing rows and rows of them on the grand boulevards, particularly in the center of Paris.

I also walked through the Palais Royal.   I looked for Ingrid and John, but didn't see them anywhere.
But I did find magnolias!




Adieu!

Tomorrow will be an errand, logistics kind of day, so no formal post.  Talk with you all on Thursday.
















No comments:

Post a Comment